1/1 Photo of Italian Wedding Soup, (Low Sodium)
Chicagoland Chef du Jour's Note:
After making this a time or three, I reworked the ingredients to make it suit my family's taste buds. To make is more sodium friendly: Reduce the amount of grated cheese, use unseasoned bread crumbs and a low sodium broth. To make it more calorie friendly use: low fat broth, ground chicken or turkey. I would advise against precooking or browning the meat as that will change the flavor. Just make your tiny meatballs and gently place them in simmering broth. Many recipes call for spinach, but I find the escarole looks, tastes, and holds up better. IMO this is fairly bland because of the low sodium option. Please feel free to jazz it up with salt or use a chicken stock with sodium but compare labels, some can be higher than others. as you see fit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef, ground chicken or 1/2 lb ground turkey
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs, seasoned
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon basil, dried and crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1Boil water for orzo. Cook according to package directions. Rinse with cool water, drain and set aside.
- 2In medium bowl combine, meat, egg, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, dried basil & onion powder. Shape into 1/2" balls, set aside.
- 3In large soup pot, heat broth to boiling; stir in carrots.
- 4Whisk together: 1 beaten egg and 2 t grated parmesan; slowly add to broth while stirring the broth with a fork to allow thin strands of egg to form.
- 5Return to boil; add meatballs slowly to avoid sticking to one another and bottom of pot.
- 6Return to a slow simmer. Add cooked orzo and escarole. Simmer for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- 7Check for seasoning. Sometimes I add a little chicken bouillon at this point if the flavor needs a boost.
- 8Ladle into bowls and serve with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Wedding Soup, (Low Sodium)
Serving Size: 1 (436 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 341.3
- Calories from Fat 110
- Total Fat 12.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 144.4 mg
- Sodium 1701.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 29.3 g