Recipe by Sandylee
I found this recipe on the internet when searching for a good recipe for Italian Wedding Soup.
Top Review by Heydarl
Reasonably easy to make, with good results. I followed the recipe, using pork & veal mince and baby spinach instead of endive. I thought this lacked a bit of flavour, but DH really enjoyed it. Will make again, adding some herbs for extra flavour. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 slice fresh white bread, crust trimmed, bread torn into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 8 ounces ground pork
- fresh ground black pepper
- 12 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb curly endive lettuce, coarsely chopped (1 pound of escarole would be a good substitution)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the meatballs: Stir the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl to blend. Stir in the cheese, beef and pork. Using 1 1/2 teaspoons for each, shape the meat mixture into 1-inch-diameter meatballs. Place on a baking sheet.
- To make the soup: Bring the broth to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and curly endive and simmer until the meatballs are cooked through and the curly endive is tender, about 8 minutes. Whisk the eggs and cheese in a medium bowl to blend. Stir the soup in a circular motion. Gradually drizzle the egg mixture into the moving broth, stirring gently with a fork to form thin stands of egg, about 1 minute. Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve. Finish soup with parmesan cheese if desired.