Recipe by 12345678980123455677889
I took this amazing soup by Giada DeLaurentiis and added my own spin on it. The meatballs in this soup are so wonderful because of the combination of pork & beef. I've substituted frozen spinach for the traditional kale because I prefer it, but you can add the kale if you'd like. This is a "must try" recipe!
Top Review by CareyLee
This was fantastic!! I used all beef because I had no pork on hand and I cut back on the broth a little to 10 cups. I decided I wanted orzo pasta in it too and I cooked the orzo first in the broth then drained it and returned the broth to the pot to cook the meatballs in
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1⁄3 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- fresh ground black pepper
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl to blend. Stir in the cheese, beef and pork.
- Shape the meat mixture into "marble-sized" meatballs. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bring the broth to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the meatballs and simmer until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Add spinach.
- Whisk the eggs and cheese in a medium bowl to blend. Stir the soup in a circular motion and drizzle the egg mixture into the moving broth to form thin stands of egg.
- Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve. Finish soup with parmesan cheese if desired.