Recipe by Ladderman229
Comfort food on a cold, raw, windy day. My fellow jakes love this on a busy, cold workday. Hope you do too.
Top Review by melilia
Thanks for a great recipe! Very hearty, very easy. Instead of using hamburger meat I followed a meatball recipe. I worried that the crushed tomatoes would make it taste ketchup-y, but like another reviewer mentioned, no flavor particularly overpowers another, and yes, this makes a TON of soup, so plan accordingly.
Stay safe out there, Ladderman!
- 4 (26 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 3 whole chicken breasts, skinned
- 2 lbs baby carrots
- 1 bunch celery, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped with juices
- 1⁄3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 lb hamburger, rolled into sm. meatballs
- 1 lb frozen cheese tortellini
- 12 ounces egg noodles
- 2 heads escarole, roughly chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Put chicken broth in large pot on med. high.
- Add chicken, carrots, celery, onion, tomatoes, parsley and meatballs.
- Reduce heat to simmer.
- Add salt to taste.
- Remove chicken after 1-1/2 hours, dice, then return to pot.
- Cook tortellini and egg noodles according to directions, drain and add to pot.
- Simmer for another 1/2 hour.
- Add escarole last 5 mins., stir to mix.
- Turn off heat, serve with your favorite bread or loaf, cheese, and enjoy.