Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Comfort food on a cold, raw, windy day. My fellow jakes love this on a busy, cold workday. Hope you do too.
- 4 (26 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 3 whole chicken breasts, skinned
- 2 lbs baby carrots
- 1 bunch celery, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped with juices
- 1⁄3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 lb hamburger, rolled into sm. meatballs
- 1 lb frozen cheese tortellini
- 12 ounces egg noodles
- 2 heads escarole, roughly chopped
- Put chicken broth in large pot on med. high.
- Add chicken, carrots, celery, onion, tomatoes, parsley and meatballs.
- Reduce heat to simmer.
- Add salt to taste.
- Remove chicken after 1-1/2 hours, dice, then return to pot.
- Cook tortellini and egg noodles according to directions, drain and add to pot.
- Simmer for another 1/2 hour.
- Add escarole last 5 mins., stir to mix.
- Turn off heat, serve with your favorite bread or loaf, cheese, and enjoy.
Thanks for a great recipe! Very hearty, very easy. Instead of using hamburger meat I followed a meatball recipe. I worried that the crushed tomatoes would make it taste ketchup-y, but like another reviewer mentioned, no flavor particularly overpowers another, and yes, this makes a TON of soup, so plan accordingly.
Stay safe out there, Ladderman!
This soup is really outstanding. My family thoroughly enjoyed it and wants me to make it again. I made exactly as stated except I substituted spinach for the escarole. This should satisfy any hungry appetite! Thanks for sharing. Made for Fall PAC 2009.
There was no debate in my mind not to give this recipe 5 stars. I love the no fuss instructions and the simple, but good ingredients. I used a large stock pot and this recipe filled it up. I will have some fantastic leftovers for my freezer. Thanks Ladderman for a delicious quality recipe.