- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb small italian meatballs
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chopped spinach
- 2 quarts chicken stock (or more as needed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine barley, onions, carrots, celery, meatballs and spinach in stock.
- Add salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Cook uncovered for 45 minutes or until the barley is tender.
- In small bowl, mix eggs lightly.
- Stir slowly into soup until they are like egg dumplings.
- Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 30 minutes before serving.