Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
It's soup time in the cold North, and I thought I'd share this. Great for a cold day and very easy to make.
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb small italian meatballs
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chopped spinach
- 2 quarts chicken stock (or more as needed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 eggs
- Combine barley, onions, carrots, celery, meatballs and spinach in stock.
- Add salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Cook uncovered for 45 minutes or until the barley is tender.
- In small bowl, mix eggs lightly.
- Stir slowly into soup until they are like egg dumplings.
- Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 30 minutes before serving.
This is an excellent soup. The preparation is simple and the soup is wonderful. It stores well, and reheats easily in the microwave.