Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I tried other recipes for this and ended up combining them to come up with a soup that we like the best. Posting it here so that I'll always know where it is!!! I hope that anyone trying it will like it as much as we do!! Note: the Cannellini Beans are optional
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
- 2 1⁄2-3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder (or more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (or more)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups escarole, rinsed 3 times and coarsley chopped
- 1⁄3 cup carrot, minced
- 1⁄2 cup tiny pasta (Acini Di Pepe or Orzo)
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans (optional)
- Mix the first 9 ingredients for the meatballs. With a slightly heaping 1/2 t measuring spoon measure out and roll 55-60 tiny meatballs. Set in fridge or freezer to firm up. Lightly fry or leave them raw and just drop in the soup when it's time. Heat broth to boiling. Add the carrot and escarole. Return to boil and drop in the meatballs and pasta. Turn down and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add parmesan cheese at end of cooking time. Add the beans (if using) about 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Note: I like to use parmesan/romano cheese for stronger flavor. You can also use spinach instead of escarole but it does have a stronger flavor. And I've also used 1/2 T basil and 1/2 T parsley instead of all parsley.
- Serve with a great crusty bread!