Recipe by Monica & Jamie Pearson
I grew up on this special soup made by my beloved grandmother. Using her base recipe, my husband and I have added our own twist to create a truely delicious soup.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 large finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 2 links hot Italian sausage
- 3⁄4 cup of chopped chicken or 3⁄4 cup turkey
- 4 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped spinach or 1 1⁄2 cups escarole
- 3 large finely choppped garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl mix ground beef, eggs, parsley, 1/2 of the chopped garlic cloves, bread crumbs and 1/2 of the dices onions. Mix well and roll into very small meat balls. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes. Let cool.
- Brown Italian sausage in fry pan with water until cooked. Keep adding small amounts of water as it evaporated during browning. Remove sausage when done and let cool. Slice sausages and then quarter slices into bite size pieces.
- In a large sauce pan, warm chicken broth and bouillon cube. Stir until bouillon cube is disolved. Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil. Reduce heat and cook 10-15 minutes. Serve hot sprinkling with motzarella and parmasan cheese.