Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Our tried, tested and true version of this delicious soup. No need to buy the canned stuff ever again!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 pinch marjoram
- 1 pinch sage
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups spinach, chopped
- 1 cup orzo pasta, uncooked
- 1⁄3 cup carrot, finely sliced in rounds
- 1⁄3 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large bowl combine, meat, eggs, breadcrumbs, parmesan, and spices; shape into 3/4 inch balls.
- Saute the meatballs in a dry frying pan until browned.
- In large sauce pan, heat broth to boiling; stir in spinach, carrots, celery, onion and meatballs.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Return to boil, add pasta and garlic. Cook at slow boil for 10 minutes or until orzo is tender.
- Stir frequently to avoid sticking.
- Serve with additional Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.