Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 226.79 g lean ground beef
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 29.58 ml breadcrumbs
- 14.79 ml parmesan cheese
- 2.46 ml dried basil
- 2.46 ml onion powder
- 1360.39 ml chicken broth
- 473.18 ml chopped escarole or 473.18 ml chopped spinach
- 118.29 ml orzo pasta, uncooked
- 78.07 ml finely chopped carrot
- grated parmesan cheese
- In medium bowl combine, meat, egg,bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, basil& onion powder; shape into 3/4" balls.
- In large sauce pan, heat broth to boiling; stir in spinach, orzo, carrot& meatballs.
- Return to boil;reduce heat to medium.
- Cook at slow boil for 10 minutes or until orzo is tender.
- Stir frequently to avoid sticking.
- Serve with additional Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.
I made this recipe yesterday for a client and it turned out yummy! So good that I am making it for my husband and myself tonight! I did make a few changes - I kind of combined two recipes where I made my own stock at the beginning by simmering chicken stock with carrots, herbs, celery and onions. And, I added fresh chopped sage and lemon juice to the meatballs and sauteed them in a dry frying pan just until they were browned to give them a more pleasing color. Then I added them to the broth with the spinach (used frozen chopped) and orzo (I just love orzo). I also added crushed tomatoes, fresh minced garlic, lemon juice and parmesan cheese at the very end and simmered for another 5 minutes or so. Made garlic parmesan toast to go along with it. I love the recipe - and am so glad I found it!
Very good. I have also made this with italian sausage and the longer you let it simmer the better the flavor. Wonderful taste.
I must give this recipe 5 stars! It is delicious! I did brown the meat balls before adding to the soup and added extra onion powder.