Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
Yes another wedding soup recipe! This is how my aunt makes it and I like the combination of sausage and chicken. I love to serve it with garlic bread.
- 4 ounces Italian sausage, hot or sweet, casings removed or bulk
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 (6 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped into 1 inch pieces, if you like you can add two chicken breasts
- 1 -2 cup chopped escarole, i like a lot so i add two
- 1 cup Italian pastina or 1 cup orzo pasta
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 ounces grated pecorino romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped red bell peppers
- 1 minced garlic clove
- Brown the sausage, let it cool then chop and set aside.
- In a large stockpan, bring the chicken stock to a boil, add the chicken and sausage, and simmer over the low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the escarole,garlic, red peppers, salt and pepper. Cook until peppers are done.
- In a pot of boiling water, cook the pastina or orzo until al dente, drain and add to soup. Very slowly, pour the eggs in a stream into the soup, mixing well (the eggs should form fine threads). Remove from the heat.
- Place the soup in large serving bowls and garnish with cheese.
Yes, yet another Italian Wedding Soup but this one is SO flavorful, easy and healthy, especially when using Italian chicken or turkey sausage. Loved this soup.