- 4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or 2 teaspoons anise extract
- 5 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour and shortening as if for pie crust. Add baking powder and combine.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs and then add sugar and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture.
- To shape cookies, you can simply roll them into 1-inch balls or you can roll them into logs and fold them into pretzel shapes. They will puff up some but will mostly retain whatever shape you form them into.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 14 minutes. They will not brown much.
- Cool and frost with your favorite glaze and add sprinkles. For convenience, you can melt store-bought frosting.