Prep 3 hrs 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
Makes a nice summer appetizer, luncheon or light supper dish. Serve it with a lettuce salad and some crusty bread. This recipe is from The Food of Italy Cookbook. Prep time includes refrigeration
- 1⁄4 lb asparagus
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 zucchini, cut lengthwise and then finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or minced
- 1⁄4 lb spinach, stalks removed if necessary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄3 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 4 eggs
- sea salt
- black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Rub an 8" springform pan with butter and dust with about 1 Tbs of the Parmesan cheese.
- Remove the woody ends of the asparagus (hold each spear at both ends and bend it gently- it will snap at its natural breaking point).
- Peel off the outer layer of the stems.
- Then cut the asparagus into 1" segments.
- Cook the asparagus stems for 2 minutes in a saucepan of simmering water; then add the tips and cook for 1 minute.
- Drain the asparagus and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil to medium-low in a 10" frypan and cook the onion until soft.
- Increase the heat to medium and add the zucchini.
- Cook until the zucchini is soft and golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Then add the garlic and cook for more 1 minute.
- Finally, add the spinach, mix it in, and cook until it is just wilted.
- Take the frypan off the heat, add the asparagus and the basil, mix in, and season generously with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Set aside to cool.
- Mix together the ricotta, mascarpone, eggs, and 1/2 cup Parmesan.
- Add the cheese and egg mixture to the cooled vegetables.
- Mix well and taste for seasoning.
- Grind some sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Spoon the mixture into the springform pan and scatter with the remaining Parmesan over the top.
- Place in the oven on a baking sheet to catch any drips, and cook for 30 minutes.
- The top should be light golden brown and the mixture still slightly wobbly in the center.
- Let the torte cool for 30 minutes.
- Then put it in the refrigerator for about 3 hours, until the torte has set.
- Serve with a leaf salad.