This recipe came from a September 1996 issue of Woman's Day magazine, tweaked just a bit. It's so easy to make and so healthy - great when you want a hearty meatless meal!
- 6 ounces green beans (fresh)
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 small eggplant
- 2 large zucchini (or yellow squash)
- 2 bell peppers (red or green or 1 of each)
- 1 large baking potato
- 12 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- parmesan cheese, for topping
- Trim green beans and cut in half. Slice the onions and peppers. Mince the garlic. Cut the eggplant and zucchini into 1" chunks. Peel the potato and cut into 1/2" chunks.
- Put the green beans, onions, and garlic in a large crock pot.
- Mix eggplant, zucchini, peppers, potatoes, tomato sauce, olive oil, salt, Italian seasoning, and crushed red pepper in a large bowl. Add to crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low 8 hours, or high 4 hours.
- Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.
This turned out quite tasty. I used zucchini, red bell pepper and 5 garlic cloves. I loved the fact it uses the crockpot. I cooked mine on low for 8 hours. Made for Zaar Hits 1-2-3 Tag Game 2011.
I had to make this recipe, as #1 it used the crock pot, #2 it was a stew, and #3 it was all veggies (I try to eat vegetarian at least 4 days per week). I only made a couple changes. . .used only 1 zucchini, only 1 yellow bell pepper, 1/2 a potato, and then added a handful of spinach, 2 tomatoes and about 6 oz of mushrooms. My tomato sauce was roast garlic flavor worked well. I chose the 4 hour on high option; at 4 hours my small diced potatoes were not quite done and the beans were turning to mush. So next time, I will put the potatoes on the bottom and see if that does the trick. I also added quite a bit of seasoning after cooking: jugo seasoning sauce, seasoning salt, Italian seasoning, and some hot sauce. I put it in the fridge, as I think this is probably one of those stews that tastes better on day two. Will be back tomorrow with that update! Made for Photo Tag.