Recipe by Lorraine3
Very easy to "throw" together and more hearty than just vegetable soup since it has ground beef. Found this on another recipe website (allrecipes.com) posted by "Jackie". I have made a few adjustments.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (19 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans low sodium beef broth
- 5 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups cabbage, chopped
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cups frozen green beans (Italian Style, if available)
- 1 cup macaroni (ditalini style pasta is what I use)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place ground beef in a large soup pot. Cook over medium heat until evenly browned. Drain excess fat. Stir in onion, celery, carrots, garlic, chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, beef broth. Season with parsley, oregano and basil. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in cabbage, corn, green beans and pasta. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer until vegetables are tender and pasta is al dente. Add more broth. I find I like it more soupy than thick, so adjust liquid amounts accordingly by adding water or additional beef broth.