Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My guys alway come back for a second bowl of this soup. I use Campbell's soups for the broth, but bouillon cubes can also be used. Served with crispy fresh Italian bread, it's not only fast and easy, it's absolutely delicious!
- 1 -2 large onion
- 1 cup celery, large diced
- 1 cup carrot, large diced
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can beef consomme (gelatin added)
- 1 (10 ounce) can beef broth (double strength)
- 4 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) can great northern beans
- 2 cups zucchini, cubed
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt & pepper
- Peel and coarsely chop onion to measure about 3 cups.
- Heat oil in dutch oven.
- Add onions, carrots and celery.
- Sauté for 5 to 7 minutes or until crisp tender.
- In separate small skillet, brown sausage and when almost done add garlic and fennel.
- Add tomatoes to sautéed vegetables, breaking up with spoon.
- Add broth, water, zucchini and beans.
- Drain grease from sausage and add to pot.
- Add remaining seasonings and simmer for about 10 minutes.
This soup was delicious!! It is easy to make and goes together very quickly. I doubled the amount of carrots, celery, and zucchini because we like a lot of vegetables in our soup. My family devoured this and gave it 2 huge thumbs up!! Thank you for sharing this recipe...it is definitely a keeper!!
I've made it twice and it is a winner in my family. Its even better on the second day. Actually, I am looking forward to work tomorrow as this will be my lunch!!
Thank you Trickey for this recipe! This is a very good soup and my family loved it and came back for seconds. This one is definitely a keeper!