Recipe by Trickey
My guys alway come back for a second bowl of this soup. I use Campbell's soups for the broth, but bouillon cubes can also be used. Served with crispy fresh Italian bread, it's not only fast and easy, it's absolutely delicious!
Top Review by Bayhill
This soup was delicious!! It is easy to make and goes together very quickly. I doubled the amount of carrots, celery, and zucchini because we like a lot of vegetables in our soup. My family devoured this and gave it 2 huge thumbs up!! Thank you for sharing this recipe...it is definitely a keeper!!
- 1 -2 large onion
- 1 cup celery, large diced
- 1 cup carrot, large diced
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can beef consomme (gelatin added)
- 1 (10 ounce) can beef broth (double strength)
- 4 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) can great northern beans
- 2 cups zucchini, cubed
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and coarsely chop onion to measure about 3 cups.
- Heat oil in dutch oven.
- Add onions, carrots and celery.
- Sauté for 5 to 7 minutes or until crisp tender.
- In separate small skillet, brown sausage and when almost done add garlic and fennel.
- Add tomatoes to sautéed vegetables, breaking up with spoon.
- Add broth, water, zucchini and beans.
- Drain grease from sausage and add to pot.
- Add remaining seasonings and simmer for about 10 minutes.