Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I was looking for something quick and easy to fix for lunch. You can add your own twist to the recipe.
- 1 medium onion, peeled
- 3 medium carrots, peeled
- 2 small potatoes, peeled diced small
- 1 stalk celery, split down the middle
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 quarts chicken stock or 1 1⁄2 quarts vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- zest of half a lemon
- 6 fresh basil leaves, torn
- extra virgin olive oil
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Slice the onion, carrots and celery into 1/2 inch pieces. If carrots are thick, split in half before slicing.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the carrots and sauté for 2-3 minutes then add celery and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes more finally and onions, season with salt and pepper and saute' for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the broth, ½ the basil leaves, lemon juice and lemon zest, increase the heat to high. When the stock is boiling, reduce the heat to low, and simmer. The soup is ready when the vegetables are firm to the bite, do not overcook.
- When the soup is done check for seasoning and add remaining basil leaves.
- Serve immediately with Parmesan cheese and a drizzle of olive oil at the table.