Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
This recipe is from Everyday Italian with Giada De Laurentiis. It looks like a fantasic way to use zucchini.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil (I plan to use less)
- 2 leeks, chopped (white and pale green parts only)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 zucchini, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 (13 3/4 ounce) cansquartered water-packed artichoke hearts, drained
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 10 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leave
- 4 ounces dried wide egg noodles (I plan to use No Yolks)
- freshly grated parmesan cheese or soy cheese
- Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the leeks and saute until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the zucchini and artichokes. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper. Saute until the zucchini are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth. Stir in the thyme and cook for 2 minutes. Cover the pot and bring the soup to a simmer. Decrease the heat to medium-low and simmer gently until the flavors develop, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high. Add the noodles and cook until al dente, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve.
This soup is delicious! This is a nice change from the carrots, onion and potato vegie soup I usually make. I was very pleasantly surprised! The second picture I took doesn't do the cheesy topping justice because I was so hungry from the smell, I couldn't wait any longer to eat it! But it does melt over the top and get that nice almost chewy topping. I followed the recipe with the exception of using sweet onions instead of leeks, as that is what I had on hand. DH, who is usually pretty quiet with his foods, said "Mmmmmmm", which says a lot! I love this recipe and will be making it often!
Excellent soup Kree! The changes I made was I use chicken broth in place of vegetable broth and added in some cooked mini meatballs, my DH will enjoy this for lunch!... Kitten:)