Recipe by Sue Lau
This is something I made when I was hungry for garlic and vegetables and Italian, but wasn't really in the mood for pasta or meat. It makes a great side dish, but I just had it for a dinner, myself. My husband loved it too!
Top Review by Mustang Sally 54269
We absolutely loved this! Great flavours and lots of good vegys. I wanted 4 servings so I only added 1 medium zucchini & 4 oz mushrooms. I still kept the herbs the same amount & used essence spice in lieu of peppers flakes & the dry version of sun-dried tomatoes (finely chopped with scissors). I didn't add the black olives or pine nuts (not a fan of them). Although the roasted garlic can be abit messy to work with it is sooo worth it from the flavour you get. Thanks for sharing this tasty recipe.
For the Roasted Garlic
- 1 -2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 head garlic
For the Vegetable Skillet
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 5 small zucchini, cut into coins
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in half lengthwise,then sliced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered (may use button mushrooms)
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil (chopped and drained before measuring)
- 1⁄2 cup pitted ripe black olives
- 1 -2 teaspoon fresh oregano, minced
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- sea salt (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup grated romano cheese or 1⁄4 cup asiago cheese
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Line a baking pan with aluminum foil.
- Cut off top 1/4 to 1/3 of garlic head (exposing cloves) and drizzle with olive oil.
- Place garlic on baking pan, cut surface down, and roast for 1- 1 1/4 hours or until cloves are softened; allow garlic to cool slightly.
- Heat butter and 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large saute pan and squeeze out softened garlic cloves into pan (avoiding papery skins).
- Mash a few of the cloves into the butter/oil, stirring, and add onions, cooking until onions are slightly softened.
- Add zucchini, peppers and mushrooms to the pan and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, olives, minced herbs, and season to taste with salt and pepper (you may add some crushed red pepper now if you wish).
- Continue to cook for 6-8 minutes or until vegetables are cooked the way you like them.
- Before serving, sprinkle with romano or asiago cheese (you may use parmesan as well) and toasted pine nuts.