Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This delightfully easy, healthy, and delicious sandwich packs a punch with sweet balsamic vinegar, artichoke hearts, red onion, and provolone cheese. It's from Eating Well Magazine (July/August 2009). If you’re packing the hoagies to take along, keep the ingredients separate and assemble right before eating to avoid soggy bread. Serve with tomato and cucumber salad. According to Eating Well, these have 264 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 39 g carbohydrate; 14 g protein; 8 g fiber per hoagie.
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced red onion, separated into rings
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 inch 16-to 20-inch-long baguette, preferably whole-grain
- 2 slices provolone cheese, halved (about 2 ounces)
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1⁄4 cup sliced pepperoncini pepper (optional)
- Place onion rings in a small bowl and add cold water to cover. Set aside while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Combine artichoke hearts, tomato, vinegar, oil and oregano in a medium bowl. Cut baguette into 4 equal lengths. Split each piece horizontally and pull out about half of the soft bread from each side. Drain the onions and pat dry.
- To assemble sandwiches, divide provolone among the bottom pieces of baguette. Spread on the artichoke mixture and top with the onion, lettuce and pepperoncini, if using. Cover with the baguette tops. Serve immediately.