Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A savory custard that makes a substantial side dish loaded with vegetables!
Make and share this Italian Vegetable Custard recipe from Food.com.
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded summer squash (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (about 1 medium)
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can ripe olives, drained and sliced,divided
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 6 slices very thin tomatoes
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced,seperated into rings
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (2 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 450.
- In a medium bowl, beat together eggs and the flour until smooth.
- Stir in squash, zucchini and 1/4 cup of the olives.
- Spread in a greased 8x8x2-inch baking dish or pan.
- Bake just until set, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together Parmesan cheese, basil and garlic salt.
- Sprinkle over baked squash mixture.
- Top evenly with tomato slices, remaining olives, onion slices and Monterey Jack cheese.
- Continue to bake until cheese is melted, about 4 minutes longer.
This was fabulous! We ate it as a main dish, and it was more than two of us could finish. I didn't use olives, but I mixed in some dried onion flakes with the squash. I didn't have tomatoes so I topped with mushrooms - will definitely make it again to try the tomatoes. Also, I used more garlic than called for (I had garlic powder instead of garlic salt and messed up the conversion) but I liked it better that way.
Delicious and unusual vegetable casserole! I served it with grilled pork chops, tossed salad, and sour dough bread. Thanks so much.