Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Hearty comfort food with a nice blend of flavors. Found this in a TOH recipe book.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinse and drain
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, italian
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 3⁄4 teaspoon basil, dried
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup elbow macaroni, cooked
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- In a large pot or dutch oven brown the ground beef until cooked through. Drain the fat.
- Combine the cooked beef with the next 12 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour or until vegetables are tender.
- Add the cabbage, macaroni and parsley. Cook 20 minutes more or until the cabbage is tender. We like to sprinkle fresh grated parmesan over our individual servings and serve with fresh french bread if desired.
So thick you can eat it with a folk. I loved the oregano and cabbage in this dish. My mini food processor made fast work of chopping the carrots, celery and onion. Before step 3 I did need to add 1 cup water as it was so thick. Maybe if I simmered it covered in step 2 I would not had to worry. I'll be making this again, thank you for posting it. Made for *Zaar Cookbooks Tag * game 2008