1/2 Photos of Italian (Turkey) Sausage Soup
5 hrs 10 mins
Great for those busy mornings or too-hot-to-cook days. Sometimes I use half the package of sausage to stretch the budget and it's still great. I've also doubled the seasonings for an extra kick. *NOTE* The recipe should say "pepper jack cheese" in the toppings.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) package Italian turkey sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or sweet red pepper flakes)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1Place vegetables, broth, tomatoes, and meat in crockpot.
- 2Stir in spices.
- 3Cover and cook on low heat for 5-6 hours until veggies are tender.
- 4Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with desired toppings.
- 5*For stove-top method* Remove sausage from casings, dice onions, and chop potatoes into bite-sized chunks.
- 6Drizzle a tablespoon or two of oil (I use extra virgin olive oil) into a large pot. Over med to med-hi heat, add in meat, using wooden spoon to help break it up into smaller pieces.
- 7Once sausage has browned, add in onions (if desired, use some freshly minced garlic and add here). Saute' for a few minutes until softened.
- 8Pour in tomatoes, broth, and stir in the seasonings (omit garlic powder if using fresh garlic). After liquid comes to a bubble, drop in the potatoes, reduce heat, and cook until potatoes are at desired tenderness.
- 9Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with desired toppings.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian (Turkey) Sausage Soup
Serving Size: 1 (603 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 414.4
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 90.2 mg
- Sodium 1627.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 12.8 g
- Protein 31.8 g