Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a really simple pizza recipe, so much better than store-bought or even delivery. I love to make this pizza for our Saturday night movie! I use my recipe for Italian Turkey Sausage for a topper on this recipe. Cook time includes time to rise. Mmmmm...so good!
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water (105-115F)
- 1 1⁄2 cups white flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 14 1⁄2 ounces whole tomatoes, crushed
- 1⁄4 fresh basil leaf, torn
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 garlic clove, crushed and minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb Italian turkey sausage
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup colby-monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 10 large white mushrooms, sliced
- Mix yeast and water in a large bowl; place in warm spot for about five minutes.
- Sift flour, salt, and sugar into the yeast. Mix well, then add olive oil and form a soft ball.
- Knead on floured surface until soft and elastic (about five minutes).
- Shape into ball and place in a lightly oiled bowl.
- Cover with a clean towel and place in a warm spot for about one hour.
- Punch down dough and reshape into ball. Cover and let sit another 20 minutes, or until it rises again.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Shape dough into flat round shape and stretch onto pizza pan or hand toss and place on floured surface.
- Press fingertips into surface of dough until entire surface is dimpled.
- Brush olive oil over entire surface of pizza dough.
- Combine tomatoes, basil, 1 tsp salt, garlic and onion powder, and garlic together.
- Divide and spread evenly over dough.
- In layers add sausage, onion, mushroom, and cheeses.
- Sprinkle crust with left over parmesan cheese.
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese is gooey.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
i used frozen pizza dough and a can of chopped tomatoes. My whole family loved this pizza and cleared their plates (children 8 and 5) and that doesn't always happen. I highly recommend.
I was looking for a turkey sausage pizza but needed to do it quickly. This worked beautifully for me. I did not make the dough or the sauce. I used the canned dough but elected not to precook it and an excellent canned pizza sauce we've used for years. I also added some green pepper. Excellent!
I made the dough and the pizza, but elected to use a pizza sauce I had on hand in the freezer. I loved the dough in this recipe. Great flavor and I even used the dough cycle on my bread machine to mix everything. Thank you for sharing your recipe Cynna!