Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The perfect low-fat comfort soup on a cold winter's day. I improvised this from looking at Italian Sausage Soup recipes. My husband and guests couldn't stop raving about it. I used Roasted Garlic diced tomatoes (Italian flavor would work) and Flame Broiled frozen Turkey meatballs from Trader Joe's.
- 2 -3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large celery ribs, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 4 (15 ounce) cans chicken broth (about 7-8 cups)
- 1 cup water (if needed)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 1 (16 ounce) bagfully cooked frozen turkey meatballs
- 2 -3 cups washed spinach leaves, stems removed
- freshly grated parmesan cheese or romano cheese
- In a large soup pot, sauté the onion in oil for a couple of minutes, then add garlic, celery, carrots, and red bell pepper. Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add zucchini and cook another 5 minutes. Add Italian Seasoning and cook for another few minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes, chicken broth, wine, barley and freshly ground black pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- If too thick, add about a cup of water. Add frozen turkey meatballs; bring back to a boil and simmer another 20 minutes.
- Add spinach; simmer 5 more minutes. Taste and add salt, if necessary, and simmer another few minutes.
- Top each bowl with cheese and serve with salad and freshly baked bread or dinner rolls. (see Oatmeal Dinner Rolls.).