1 hr 30 mins
Teresa, Chef #222413's Note:
The perfect low-fat comfort soup on a cold winter's day. I improvised this from looking at Italian Sausage Soup recipes. My husband and guests couldn't stop raving about it. I used Roasted Garlic diced tomatoes (Italian flavor would work) and Flame Broiled frozen Turkey meatballs from Trader Joe's.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large celery ribs, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 4 (15 ounce) cans chicken broth (about 7-8 cups)
- 1 cup water (if needed)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 (16 ounce) bag fully cooked frozen turkey meatballs
- 2 -3 cups washed spinach leaves, stems removed
- freshly grated parmesan cheese or romano cheese
- 1In a large soup pot, sauté the onion in oil for a couple of minutes, then add garlic, celery, carrots, and red bell pepper. Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2Add zucchini and cook another 5 minutes. Add Italian Seasoning and cook for another few minutes.
- 3Add canned tomatoes, chicken broth, wine, barley and freshly ground black pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- 4If too thick, add about a cup of water. Add frozen turkey meatballs; bring back to a boil and simmer another 20 minutes.
- 5Add spinach; simmer 5 more minutes. Taste and add salt, if necessary, and simmer another few minutes.
- 6Top each bowl with cheese and serve with salad and freshly baked bread or dinner rolls. (see Oatmeal Dinner Rolls.).
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Turkey Meatball Soup
Serving Size: 1 (467 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 165.1
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 870.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 7.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: