1 hr 15 mins
A delicious full balanced meal that is low in calories, fat, and carbs! Cooked spaghetti squash makes an excellent substitute for regular pasta. It's filling comfort food and kids love it, too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon season salt
- pepper (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 32 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning, dried or 1 tablespoon fresh mixed Italian herbs
- 6 ounces fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup fat free mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Halve squash lengthwise; scoop out seeds. Place squash, cut sides down, in a large baking dish and prick skin all over with a fork. Bake until tender, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, cook turkey with season salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, about 5 minutes. Drain, remove from skillet and set aside.
- 3In same skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and stir-fry until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in diced tomatoes and Italian seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add cooked turkey and simmer, stirring often, until desired consistency, about 5 minutes.
- 4Place ricotta cheese and egg in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
- 5Coat a 9-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray. Remove squash from oven and increase oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- 6Using a fork, carefully rake stringy squash pulp from shell, separating it into strands that look like spaghetti. Arrange spaghetti squash strands in bottom and up sides of pie plate to form a crust.
- 7Add ricotta cheese mixture and gently spread over squash.
- 8Pour tomato-turkey sauce over cheese mixture and sprinkle with mozzarella.
- 9Bake for 20 minutes.
- 10Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before dividing into six servings.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Turkey and Spaghetti Squash Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (325 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 197.8
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 96.6 mg
- Sodium 481.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 18.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fat-free ricotta cheese