1/1 Photo of Italian Tuna Pasta Bake
PSU Lioness's Note:
This is definitely not your grandmother's tuna casserole. Rotini pasta, tomatoes, spinach and a rich, cheesy white sauce update this classic, and prove irresistible. You can also bake this in individual ramekins and freeze so it can be reheated for a quick, personal meal. Recipe is from Disney's Family Fun website.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups fusilli (or any other kind of pasta)
- 1/2 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (14 ounce) can low-sodium tomato soup, condensed
- 1 pinch mixed herbs
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 (7 ounce) can tuna, drained and flaked
- fresh ground black pepper
White Sauce with Spinach
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F
- 2Cook the pasta in salted water until al dente, then drain and refresh in cold water to stop it from over cooking.
- 3Melt the butter in a saucepan and sauté the onion until soft.
- 4Stir the corn flour into the water until dissolved, then add to the onion pan along with the tomato soup.
- 5Bring to a boil, add the herbs and then cook gently, stirring for five minutes.
- 6Mix in the flaked tuna and heat through. Season to taste.
- 7Mix into cooked pasta.
- 8For the cheese and spinach sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan and sauté the onion until transparent.
- 9Add the flour and continue stirring the mixture all the time.
- 10Gradually pour in the milk and keep stirring until the sauce is thickened and smooth.
- 11Add the chopped spinach and stir until wilted.
- 12Remove from the heat and stir in the 2 c grated Cheddar cheese.
- 13Grease a baking dish and add the tuna and tomato mixed with the pasta, and then pour the spinach sauce over top.
- 14Sprinkle with some grated Cheddar cheese and bake in the oven for 25 minutes until golden.
- 15This can also be frozen. Assemble casserole but do not sprinkle with cheese or bake. Thaw in refrigerator before baking. Sprinkle with cheese and bake according to normal instructions.
Browse Our Top Tuna Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Tuna Pasta Bake
Serving Size: 1 (179 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 258.4
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 52.6 mg
- Sodium 221.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 14.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: