1/1 Photo of Italian Tuna Casserole
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach
- 1 lb shell pasta (medium or large, with ridges)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- black pepper
- 2 (6 ounce) cans white tuna in vegetable oil, drained
- 1 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1Place spinach on a plate and microwave it for 6 minutes on HIGH to defrost it; place it in a clean kitchen towel and wring it dry; set aside.
- 2While the spinach is defrosting, get a big pot of water on the stove; bring to a boil; then salt the water liberally and cook the shells to al dente.
- 3While the pasta cooks, heat a deep large skillet over medium heat.
- 4Add in the olive oil, then melt the butter into the oil.
- 5When the butter melts, add in the onions and garlic; cook 4-5 minutes until tender.
- 6Sprinkle the flour around the pan and cook for a minute, then whisk in the wine—it will cook off and the mixture will thicken almost immediately.
- 7Whisk in the stock, then whisk in the milk and bring it to a bubble.
- 8Reduce heat slightly; season the sauce with nutmeg, hot sauce, and mustard; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 9Simmer 2-3 minutes to thicken; then add in the spinach, separating it as you add it to the sauce.
- 10Preheat the broiler.
- 11Back to the sauce, add in the tuna, flaking it as you go; then stir to combine.
- 12Heat the spinach and tuna for a minute or so.
- 13Drain the pasta and toss with the sauce.
- 14Transfer mixture to a casserole dish; cover it with the cheese.
- 15Place the casserole under the broiler for 2 minutes to brown the edges and the cheese.
- 16Top with parsley and serve.
Browse Our Top Tuna Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Tuna Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (555 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 929.1
- Calories from Fat 259
- Total Fat 28.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.3 g
- Cholesterol 62.0 mg
- Sodium 1039.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 104.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 56.5 g