Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Lazio these little cakes are often served in café’s with a cappuccino. To serve as dessert, spoon a fresh fruit puree over them.
- 1⁄4 cup raisins (1oz/30g)
- 1 cup arborio rice (6oz/185g)
- 2 cups milk (16 fl oz/500 ml)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (4oz/125g)
- 1⁄2 grated lemon, rind of
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 4 ounces butter (125g)
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 egg white, beaten stiff
- powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- Soak the raisins in water to cover until needed.
- Boil the rice in 4 cups boiling water for 5 minutes; DRAIN. Bring milk and sugar to a boil, add rice, lemon rind and cinnamon. Cook over low heat until rice has absorbed all the milk, stirring constantly. Stir in butter, drained raisins and egg yolks and let cool. Whip the egg white until stiff and fold into the rice.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Pour mixture into 6 buttered individual molds and bake for 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Unmold puddings onto individual plates, sprinkle with sifted powdered sugar and serve. Serves 6.
- Authentic Recipes From the Regions Of Italy.