Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
My mom's staple! Easy, and you can make it ahead of time. If you want to spice it up, add jalapeño chilies.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package spaghetti sauce mix
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 (1 lb) can tomatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies (seeds removed and then chopped or diced)
- 8 -10 corn tortillas
- 1 1⁄2 lbs monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- Brown ground beef until crumbly.
- Drain fat.
- Add spaghetti sauce mix, seasoned salt, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water and green chilies; blend thoroughly.
- Simmer slowly 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine ricotta and eggs; blend well.
- Spread mixture evenly on tortilla.
- Spread 1 cup of meat sauce in 12x8x2-inch baking dish.
- Place two cheese topped tortillas side by side in the dish.
- Spread 1/3 cup of meat mixture and 1/3 cup grated cheese over each.
- (I actually make this a single layer by filling in the areas with tortillas cut in half).
- Repeat until each stack contains 3-4 layered with meat sauce and cheese.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 30 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.