Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Cheese-filled tortellini turns this hearty bean and vegetable soup into a family favorite! Add other vegetables of your choice. You can add vegetarian sausage to this if you wish! :) From Cambell's.
- 4 carrots, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed (or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil (or 1 tsp. fresh)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (for meat eaters may use chicken broth)
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced (about 3 cups)
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped (or use 14 oz. can diced tomatoes if you wish)
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen cheese-filled tortellini (or 9 oz. box dried)
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained (or beans of choice)
- grated parmesan cheese (to garnish)
- Place the carrots, onion, celery, garlic, thyme and 2 cups of the broth in a 6-quart saucepot.
- Heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until the onion is tender.
- Add the remaining broth, zucchini(or/and vegs. of choice), tomatoes(fresh or canned), tortellini and beans. Heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the tortellini is tender. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
This was great! I very hearty and delicious dinner. It filled up the whole house with its savory aroma while cooking. The only change i would make is that it needed about twice as much broth (and therefore spices) as it called for. After cooking for the full 30min, most of the broth just boiled away and I kept on having to add more. Once I did though, it was perfect!
This was easy and very good. I carmelized the onions first and sauteed all the veggies and herbs in olive oil . I used fresh mushrooms instead of zucchini, because that what was on hand
I used can of Italian style tomatoes instead of plum tomatoes and mushroom ravioli - again it was on hand.
very tasty - good adaptable recipe - I will make it again