Recipe by DJM
A family favorite. It makes a very large quantity. Fresh basil is needed- dried basil is not good in this recipe.
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef stock or 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans canned beef broth
- 7 cups water
- 1 lb italian sweet sausage, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 (9 ounce) boxrefrigerated tortellini
- 1 (9 ounce) boxrefrigerated spinach tortellini
- 1⁄2 lb cabbage, shredded
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stock pot, combine the stock, water, sausage,the vegetables and the chopped fresh basil.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Add the tortellini, reduce heat and simmer for 7 minutes or so, until the tortellini are done-check the package for the recommended cooking time.
- Top each serving with grated Parmesan.