Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I can't remember where I got this recipe but it is irresistible. My dh loves this. It is meaty and stick to your ribs delicious. Enjoy!
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded, peeled, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, thin sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon oregano
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups zucchini, sliced
- 8 ounces frozen meat-filled tortellini or 8 ounces frozen cheese tortellini
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- parmesan cheese
- Remove sausage casing. In dutch over brown sausage.
- Remove sausage; reserve 1 tbsp drippings.
- Saute onions and garlic in drippings until onions are tender.
- Add broth and next 7 ingredients, and add sausage.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered 30 minutes.
- Skim fat from soup and stir in zucchini and remaining ingredients, except parmesan cheese. Simmer covered an additional 35-40 minutes until tortellini is tender.
- Serve topped with parmesan cheese.
- If you prefer to use fresh tortellini, simmer 20-35 minutes until tender.
Great soup! I used a can of petite diced tomatoes, and and 8oz. package of mushrooms instead of carrots. Also used fresh torellini. Thank-you!
What a great hearty soup for fall. A hunk of crusty bread and serve the rest of the wine in the recipe for a drink or two and your all set.