Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
An Italian tomato soup with great flavour and the pasta makes it a hearty meal, delicious and real comfort food!! Serve with chunks of garlic & mozzarella bread - I always make double if the family is home! NB I add garlic, and I dont always puree it, its just as nice left as a broth.
- 30 g butter or 30 g margarine
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, cored, seeds removed, and chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 liter brown stock or 2 beef bouillon cubes (diluted in a litre of water) or 2 vegetable bouillon cubes (diluted in a litre of water)
- 450 g tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 120 g orecchiette
- 1 tablespoon horseradish sauce
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the butter in a pan. Add onion and green pepper, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add flour and stir.
- Add stock, tomatoes and tomato puree. Simmer for 15 minutes. Puree soup and pass through a sieve.
- Return to pan, season with salt and pepper. Add pasta 10 minutes before serving. Simmer and stir occasionally. Add horseradish before serving.
- Garnish with sour cream and parsley. Serve immediately.
Good soup. It was a bit spicy for the kids so I puréed an apple in some of the soup and added that back to the main soup. I had to use macaroni but will get a smaller pasta next time. We served this with toasted garlic bread.
What a wonderful soup! The only kind of tomato soup I like is homemade, and this was delicious!! I read some of the other reviews, and I think I prefer this soup pureed, which is what I did. The only change I made (if you can eve call it that) was for the salt I used my Tuscan flavored sea salt. I did make my own horesradish sauce from 1 TBSP of Tofutti sour cream, 2-3 tsp horseradish and a squeeze of lime juice. I thought that gave this the perfect little kick, but not too overpowering. Did not have orecchiette, so I used a cup of orzo (one of my favorite pastas in soups!)
This was a wonderful and tasty soup! I followed the directions exactly but I think I will try another reviewers post and not puree it next time. Thank you for a delicious dish! Made for Think Pink Breast Awareness 2009.