- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup uncooked rice
- 1 cup diced canned tomato, with some juice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 -2 ounce thinly sliced pepperoni
- 1⁄2 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil. Saute the onion and green pepper until softened.
- Stir in the garlic. Cook for a minute. Add the oregano, basil, crushed red pepper, if used, rice, tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in the pepperoni and sprinkle with the cheese. Cook for another minute or two.
- Serve the soup in individual bowls with an extra sprinkling of parmesan cheese, if desired.