1/2 Photos of Italian Tomato Sausage Ragu With Penne
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 30 mins
I use Chianti wine for this recipe but any good dry red wine will do, this can be made using a mixture of ground beef and pork but Italian sausage meat is so much better --- if possible prepare this a day ahead and refrigerate to allow flavors to blend just rewarm on top of the stove
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 12 ounces Italian sausages, casings removed (can use more)
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (you can use more if you like spicy)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (optional or adjust to suit heat level)
- 2 -3 carrots, peeled and cut into about 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 celery, finely chopped
- 3 cups whole canned tomatoes, finely chopped (I use one 28-ounce can of whole tomatoes, drained then chop the tomatoes)
- 1 cup chicken broth (more if needed)
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 12 ounces penne pasta
- 1 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- 1In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat.
- 2Add in the sausage meat, garlic, oregano and pepper flakes; sauté until brown, breaking up the meat with a fork (about 7 minutes).
- 3Add in finely chopped carrots, onion and celery; sauté for about 10 minutes.
- 4Mix in chopped tomatoes; reduce heat, cover and simmer about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5Add in 1 cup broth and wine; simmer uncovered until liquid is slightly reduced (about 20 minutes).
- 6Add in the fresh basil; cover and simmer until the veggies are very tender, stirring occasionally.
- 7Continue to simmer for about 45-50 minutes, adding in more broth by about 1/4 cup if the liquid evaporates to quickly, and cook until the Ragu thickens to desired consistency.
- 8Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 9Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just firm-tender; drain but reserve about 1/2 cup cooking water.
- 10Return the pasta to the pot; add in the Ragu; mix to combine.
- 11Add in about 1/2 - 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese and 2-3 tablespoons olive oil; mix to combine.
- 12If the mixture seems too dry then add in some of the reserved cooking water from the pasta.
- 13Season with more salt and pepper.
- 14Divide on plates and top with more cheese.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Tomato Sausage Ragu With Penne
Serving Size: 1 (379 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 650.5
- Calories from Fat 302
- Total Fat 33.5 g
- Saturated Fat 11.3 g
- Cholesterol 54.5 mg
- Sodium 1375.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 27.3 g