Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I got this recipe from Lidia Bastianich's cookbook. It's a great recipe, the only change I made was I added garlic (my favorite ingredient). You can make this ahead and freeze it. So much better than jar sauce! If you cannot get San Marzano tomatoes, I recommend Colivata or Cento brands.
- 2 (28 ounce) canssan marzano crushed tomatoes
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced celery
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- In large pot, on medium head add olive oil, carrots and celery. Cook stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, add onion, crushed red pepper flakes (if using) and garlic cook for 5 minutes stirring constantly (being careful not to burn garlic).
- Add crushed tomatoes, water and salt, raise heat to med and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 1/2 hour stirring occasionally. Remove and discard bay leaves.
Excellent. I used fire roasted tomatoes, and this was really, really good.