1/5 Photos of Italian Tomato Onion Salad
1 hr 10 mins
I made up this recipe as a copy cat to the tomato onion salad served at my favorite Italian place. It's not exactly the same but it's as close as I could get. This is a great veggie dish to have with pizza, lasagne or any Italian dish. UPDATED to adjust the amounts: I rarely use measuring utensils, especially when I'm making up a recipe and don't have time or the inclination to write everything down as I'm doing it. after reading your reviews I did notice some problems with the recipe...hopefully I've fixed them!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut tomatoes into wedges scraping all juice, seeds and pulp into a mixing bowl.
- 2Slice the onion into thin strips.
- 3In the mixing bowl combine the onion, tomatoes, lemon juice, cider vinegar and sea salt, stir.
- 4Let sit for at least an hour to let the salt tenderize the tomato and onion; stir often.
- 5Add basil, oregano, garlic, olive oil and red pepper to taste; let marinate 30 minutes.
- 6Serve with crusty Italian bread or sour dough flute slices.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Tomato Onion Salad
Serving Size: 1 (103 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 60.7
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 237.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 0.9 g