I made up this recipe as a copy cat to the tomato onion salad served at my favorite Italian place. It's not exactly the same but it's as close as I could get. This is a great veggie dish to have with pizza, lasagne or any Italian dish. UPDATED to adjust the amounts: I rarely use measuring utensils, especially when I'm making up a recipe and don't have time or the inclination to write everything down as I'm doing it. after reading your reviews I did notice some problems with the recipe...hopefully I've fixed them!
- Cut tomatoes into wedges scraping all juice, seeds and pulp into a mixing bowl.
- Slice the onion into thin strips.
- In the mixing bowl combine the onion, tomatoes, lemon juice, cider vinegar and sea salt, stir.
- Let sit for at least an hour to let the salt tenderize the tomato and onion; stir often.
- Add basil, oregano, garlic, olive oil and red pepper to taste; let marinate 30 minutes.
- Serve with crusty Italian bread or sour dough flute slices.