Recipe by Sharon123
A great Italian bread with lots of spice! You're gonna like this! :D
Top Review by wicked cook 46
I cut the recipe in half to make one loaf used fresh grated garlic and used all white flour. This is such a nice light fluffy bread filled flavours. Definite keeper. made for Newest Zaar Tag
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sweet onion, minced
- 3 cups white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sweet basil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon medium grind black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted (or margarine)
- 1 3⁄4 cups white flour (or a mix of 1 cup white and 3/4 cup whole wheat)
- 1 egg white
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat tomato puree in microwave or on stovetop to 100º F-110ºF. Stir in yeast and sugar; allow to stand 5 minutes. Add onions.
- Combine 4 cups (white and whole wheat) flour, salt, Italian seasoning, basil, garlic powder, black pepper and celery seed in large mixing bowl. Beat in tomato mixture and melted butter. Stir in 1-3/4 cups flour; mix well with electric mixer.
- Knead 5 to 10 minutes on a floured surface until dough is smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl; cover and let rise about 40 minutes or until double.
- Punch down; divide the dough in half. Form each half into a round loaf and place in a greased 9-inch round cake pan, or place both loaves on a greased baking sheet. Cover; let rise about 40 minutes or until double. Brush surface with egg white.
- Bake at 350º F for 40 to 45 minutes. Enjoy!