Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is from Tyler Florence off the Food Network. I made it a long time ago and had to retrieve it to post. It was delicious served with roast meat and/or roast vegetables.
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 2 (28 ounce) canswhole peeled plum tomatoes
- 1 pinch sugar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over low heat.
- Saute the garlic, red pepper flakes, and herbs for 2 minutes until the herbs are fragrant and garlic is golden (but not overly brown.)
- Raise the heat to medium, add onion and carrot; cook for 5 minutes until they breakdown and are soft.
- Deglaze with red wine and reduce to evaporate the alcohol.
- Hand crush the canned tomatoes and add to the pot, along with its liquid.
- Add a pinch of sugar to cut down on the acidity from the tomatoes; season with salt and pepper.
- Let simmer for 30 minutes, uncovered.