Another wonderful recipe from French's emailed newsletter. Instead of the frozen garlic bread 1 fresh loaf of prepared garlic bread can be substituted. Slice into cubes for approximately 10 cups of cubed bread.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a greased, shallow 3 quart baking dish add the cubed garlic bread. Top the bread with tomatoes and 2/3 cup french fried onions.
- In a large bowl add the eggs and milk, beat well. Stir in one cup of mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese and the seasoning.
- Pour mixture over bread cubes and stir gently to coat well.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until custard is just set.
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and onions.
- Bake an additional five minutes or until cheese melts and onions are golden brown.
Love the ingredients! Tasty and super easy. I used Texas Toast and still added the italian seasonings. I did not have the canned onions so omitted. Served with kale. Thank you for sharing, Laurie.
I served this with a spaghetti dinner I made last night, as an alternative to the usual garlic bread. I followed the recipe exactly as written, seeding the tomatoes to keep the seeds out of the bread. The frozen bread had a lot of garlic and butter on it which overpowered the taste of the tomatoes and cheeses, so the only change I would make is to buy a bakery loaf of plain Italian bread and spread it with a thin layer of softened butter mixed with just a pinch of garlic powder, so that the rest of the flavors in this bread casserole will come through evenly. With that little tweaking, this bread casserole will be perfect for our tastes. Thanks for posting!
What a great recipe. Made as posted and we loved it. Such a delicious bread casserole. Thank you so much for sharing!!!