Recipe by michelerx
My mom used to make these and fill them with grape or strawberry jelly. Now, I make them for the Christmas cookie trays with a red or green maraschino cherry or a Hershey's kiss pressed into the thumbprint.
Top Review by nancyal
i made these for the cookie tray for my niece's wedding. they are delicious. i used butter instead of margarine. i am allergic to walnuts, so i used hazelnuts for half of them and the other half i rolled in coconut. wonderful! i also did some in crushed macadamia nuts-to die for.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 egg whites
- 1 -2 cup chopped walnuts
- any flavor jam
- maraschino cherry
- Hershey chocolate kiss
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream together margarine and sugar.
- Add salt, lightly beaten egg yolks, vanilla, and almond extract, and mix thoroughly.
- Gradually add flour and stir until well blended.
- Roll dough into one inch balls.
- Beat egg whites until frothy.
- Dip dough balls into egg whites and roll in chopped nuts.
- Place on cookie sheet about two inches apart and press a deep thrumbprint into each center.
- Bake at 350 degrees 10-12 minutes.
- While cookies are still warm, fill thumbprints with jelly or press a maraschino cherry or Hershey's kiss into the thumbprint.