Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From BHG. Per serving: 259 calories, 4 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 50 g carb, 10 g fiber, 14 g protein.
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking brown rice
- 5 ounces frozen baby lima beans, thawed (half of a 10 oz. package)
- 4 1⁄2 ounces frozen cut green beans, thawed (half of a 9 oz. package)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 cup commercial meatless spaghetti sauce (Ragu)
- 2 ounces thinly sliced mozzarella cheese (or 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a big skillet, combine the kidney beans, undrained tomatoes, broth, rice, lima beans, green beans, and basil.
- Bring to a boil; lower heat, cover, and simmer about 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce; cook until heated through; season to taste with salt/pepper, if needed.
- Top with mozzarella slices or parmesan cheese.