1 hr 30 mins
I got tired of not finding a vegan italian sausage and then found this recipe at veganchef.com -- decided to post it here so i do not lose it and also can keep track of the nutritional data for my own diet
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (8 ounce) packages tempeh, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1/2 teaspoon . dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup Braggs liquid aminos or 1/2 cup tamari
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil (for frying)
- 1Place the cubes of tempeh in a steamer basket, steam for 15 minutes, and set aside to cool.
- 2Using your fingers, crumble the steamed tempeh into a bowl.
- 3Add the basil, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, fennel, thyme, pepper flakes, and pepper to the tempeh and toss well to coat.
- 4Add the remaining ingredients and stir well to combine.
- 5Lightly oil or line a cookie sheet or tray with waxed paper, and set aside.
- 6Using a 1/4 cups measuring cup to portion the sausages, lightly fill it with the tempeh mixture and gently pack it into the cup with the back of a spoon. Flip the measuring cup over on to the tray and give it a tap to release the patty.
- 7Form the mixture into 10 patties and chill for 1 hour.
- 8Lightly grease a non-stick skillet with a little safflower oil. In batches, cook the tempeh sausages until well browned on each side, about 5-7 minutes per side.
- 9Add more oil to the pan, if needed, to prevent the sausages from sticking.
- 10**You can make these sausages in larger batches and freeze them for later use. Then simply reheat them in the oven or in a nonstick skillet until heated through.
Browse Our Top Tempeh Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Tempeh Sausage
Serving Size: 1 (60 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 183.1
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 5.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 9.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Braggs liquid aminos