Recipe by Pepper Monkey
This is excellent served with crusty bread and a salad. A white wine would compliment this very well. Excellent casserole that was a big hit at my house and will be at yours too if you have Italian food lovers in the family. :)
Top Review by Dreamgoddess
This recipe had a nice flavor that we enjoyed. The only change I made in the recipe was to add salt for additional flavor. When I make this again, I'll use one reviewer's suggestion of boiling the potatoes a bit before putting the casserole together.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb Italian pork sausage
- 1 (19 ounce) cancreamy tomato soup
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 2 1⁄2 cups sliced potatoes
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded gruyere or 1 1⁄2 cups swiss cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease 13x9 inch casserole dish.
- Cook ground beef and sausage in skillet.
- Stir in tomatoes and let simmer then add soup and bring to a simmer.
- Make a layer of potatoes and onion in baking dish.
- Next make a layer of meat sauce and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat until all ingredients are used up.
- I make about two hearty layers.
- Bake 60-65 minutes covered with foil or until potatoes are soft.
- Remove foil and sprinkle swiss or gruyere cheese and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Cheese should be melty and bubbly.
- Cool for 15 minutes and sprinkle with parsley before serving.