Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1⁄4 lb pepperoni, diced
- 2 cups ham, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained (I use Italian-style)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 lb penne pasta
- 2 bunches arugula, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- Place a large stockpot on the stove and preheat to medium-high heat.
- Add olive oil and sausage. Brown and crumble the sausage, drain off excess fat if necessary.
- Add the ham and pepperoni. Cook meats together 2 minutes.
- Add peppers and onions and cook 2-3 minutes more.
- Add diced tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken stock and bring soup to a boil.
- Stir in pasta and cook for 8 minutes.
- Stir arugula into soup just before you serve it up.
MMMM Yummy. This is REALLY good. Instead of penne, I used egg noodle pastina - teeny tiny pasta, and only 3 cups of water, making it more of a stew than a soup. Really filling and perfect for a cool evening. Top with parmesan for a real Italian touch.