Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Exceptionally delicious. You can substitute lamb shanks as well.
Make and share this Italian Style Veal Shanks recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 kg veal shanks, pieces
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 425 g canned tomatoes, diced
- 1 liter beef stock (salt reduced)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 2 -3 slices lemon zest
- 1 cup continental fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 slices lemon zest, finely chopped
- Mix gremolata ingredients together and serve with the cooked shanks.
- Preheat oven to 180 Degrees Celsius.
- Season shanks with salt and pepper.
- Dust flour shaking off excess.
- Heat oil in large frying pan and brown shanks.
- Transfer to ovenproof casserole.
- Wipe pan clean with paper towel and melt butter over low heat.
- Cook vegetables stirring until onion is soft, then add all remaining ingredients. Bring to boil and simmer 2 minutes.
- Pour over shanks.
- Cover bake for 1 1/2 hours until meat is tender.