Recipe by Maileen '78
Mouth-watering tuna pasta baked topped with grated cheddar and grated mozzarella! Different from the usual tuna pasta bake which calls for condensed soup. Very easy and very YUMMY!
- 1 large onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (270 g) canned tuna (drain)
- 2 (800 g) cans chopped tomatoes (do not drain)
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Italian herb seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic granules
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil (chopped)
- 4 cups pasta shells (cooked al dente)
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a fairly large pan (preferably a wok) and add the onion until it softens. About 2-3 minutes. Then add the tuna and sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, Italian herb seasoning, oregano, garlic granules and salt & pepper to taste.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes-20 minutes or until the sauce has thickened stirring from time to time.
- While the sauce is simmering, heat the oven at 200 degrees or 180 for fan-assisted ovens. And cooked the pasta shells 2 minutes less than the directed time on the packet. It needs to be a little bit tougher as it still needs to be cooked in the oven. DO NOT OVERCOOK. Drain and set aside.
- When the sauce has thickened add the chopped fresh basil and the drained pasta shells and stir until thoroughly mix.
- Transfer into an oven-proof dish and topped with grated cheddar and mozzarella. Bake for another 20- 25 minutes or until the cheese on top has turned golden brown.