Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Mouth-watering tuna pasta baked topped with grated cheddar and grated mozzarella! Different from the usual tuna pasta bake which calls for condensed soup. Very easy and very YUMMY!
- 1 large onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (270 g) canned tuna (drain)
- 2 (800 g) cans chopped tomatoes (do not drain)
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Italian herb seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic granules
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil (chopped)
- 4 cups pasta shells (cooked al dente)
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a fairly large pan (preferably a wok) and add the onion until it softens. About 2-3 minutes. Then add the tuna and sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, Italian herb seasoning, oregano, garlic granules and salt & pepper to taste.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes-20 minutes or until the sauce has thickened stirring from time to time.
- While the sauce is simmering, heat the oven at 200 degrees or 180 for fan-assisted ovens. And cooked the pasta shells 2 minutes less than the directed time on the packet. It needs to be a little bit tougher as it still needs to be cooked in the oven. DO NOT OVERCOOK. Drain and set aside.
- When the sauce has thickened add the chopped fresh basil and the drained pasta shells and stir until thoroughly mix.
- Transfer into an oven-proof dish and topped with grated cheddar and mozzarella. Bake for another 20- 25 minutes or until the cheese on top has turned golden brown.
I made this tonite and it was my 1st homemade pasta bake ive cooked and it was absolutely delicious and I love garlic so I did add extra extra assortments of garlic...?...
I made this with single cream with the chop tomatoes, coriander, fresh garlic and ready salted crisps crushed on top. Its pretty much how I already make it only thing I never tried it with was mozzarella though. One of my favourite meals and my partner loves it as well even before I used this recipe.
Ok so I found this to be a great base. I added a few things to this to make it how i wanted. I added a leak with the onions and i didn't saute the tuna ( Its coming out of a can... its already cooked and going in the oven??? ) but i did add the garlic ( i used fresh garlic ) chilli ( added a chilli for some spice ) and herbs to get the aroma going. Took it off the heat and added it to my baking dish. Mixed in the tuna tin tomato's and i used pasta sauce. This is where i added my own stuff to boost it a bit. While the pasta was cooking i added some capers, marinated olives ( I used tequila lime and chilli marinated ) frozen peas, green beans ( I blanched the beans and peas ) and a zucchini ( courgette ). Put it in the oven for about 35 mins on 150 then turned it up to 180 for 5 mins to get the cheese brown and crispy... Was amaizing whole family was going back for seconds.